Category Archives: TV-Reviews

If you liked Between Two Ferns

You are going to love Comedy Bang! Bang!

Scott Aukerman (the producer/director/genius behind the brilliantly awkward web series Between Two Ferns with Zach Galifianakis) hosts this hilarious (also awkward) and consistently bizarre 30 minute talk show.

Aukerman’s offbeat questions (and guests) are complimented perfectly by band leader beatboxer/ musician/ comedian Reggie Watts, who improvises sweet beats and lyrics while rocking an amazing ‘fro.

Guests include Zach Galifianakis, Amy Poehler, Jon Hamm and Seth Rogan with ridiculous characters like Danny Mahony “the life of the party” and my personal favourite El Chupacabra played by the hilarious Nick Kroll (his slogan for The View had me gasping for air – brilliant). There are also cameos by Andy Richter, Will Arnett and loads more.

I need more of this show immediately.

Tagged , , ,

Dags unite!

Last night the first episode of Myf Warhurst’s six part series Nice aired on ABC1 – I liked it.

A factual series where Myf delves into some of her favourite things, Nice is a little bit daggy and at this point in my life, I find that refreshing.

Last night’s episode showcased the genuine affection between herself and former Spicks and Specks team leader Alan Brough, as he confessed that her love of Wa Wa Nee and all things tacky have made her the person she is, and for that he would kiss them all on the lips – very sweet.

In her journey to discover more about the love duet, Myf spoke to the man behind the mic – Love Songs and Dedications Richard Mercer. I thought I would finally get to see the face and the lips that spout out the romantic drivel that has amused me so year after year, but alas – he remains an enigma. (Though his soft, blonde locks fashioned into a  mullet have now left me with an image I won’t soon forget).

As Myf’s eyes welled up while living out a dream singing Islands In The Stream with the one and only Kenny Rodgers, it was impossible to find her anything but endearing.

It’s not trying to be anything over the top, it’s just nice.

Tagged ,

2012 Eurovision mini review

Another year, another Eurovision.

The magical weekend is over and once more all we are left with is a blur of outlandish costumes and over-styled hair, surrounded by low-lying clouds of mist, pushed along by an industrial wind, lit by 100’s of pyrotechnics, set to a soundtrack of badly played trumpet.

 My highlights for this year included:

Charlie Pickering’s Azerbaijani twin.
Last years winner forgetting the words to Waterloo (a song I long to have removed from my memory) during the semi final intermission.
The Iceland entrant who looked like he would eat your young.
Norway’s answer to Peter Andre (an answer to a question nobody asked)
and the Albanian entrant who was clearly being controlled by the alien lifeforce that lay upon her chest.

The winner this year was, of course, Sweden with Euphoria:

Now don’t get me wrong, it’s a great song (plus she does a bit of a hammertime shuffle part way through the performance) BUT, it is legitimately good – not Eurovision good. I could picture the youth of today singing and dancing along to the track while waving their glow sticks in an enthusiastic fashion at the discotheque …and not in an ironic way. Eurovision is about the tacky, the cheesy, the downright ridiculous! I just hope Sweden’s win hasn’t poisoned the very essence of Eurovision.

At least the spirit hasn’t completely died out just yet…

Montenegro

A 40+ year old guy (I’m speculating) who looked and moved like he had just come off a massive night of substantial alcoholic beverage consumption (also speculation) after a hard day selling used cars (…maybe) named Rambo…who busted rhymes.

Or if you’d prefer an insightful fellow’s simple yet hauntingly accurate description: Meatloaf and Gerard Depardieu’s middle-aged love child. (Thanks Ben)

Greece

Hot female singer in impossibly short dress, surrounded by terrible choreography and lyrics which include the rhyming of ‘maniac’ with ‘aphrodisiac’ – genius!

Lithuania

A bedazzled blindfold, second-rate Michael Jackson moves and one-handed cartwheel.

Ukraine

I’m sure I’m not the only one who can’t seem to fill the void left by discraced 90’s dance group Black Box…right!?

Turkey

Poor man’s Sacha Baron Cohen, joined by several dudes in capes…which eventually join to become a ship.

Malta

I haven’t seen fancy footwork like this since the opening sequence of  Kenny Loggin’s Footloose.

Tagged , ,

Oh how I love The Broadway!

 And now it’s on my TV!

Image

…well kind of.

Smash is a new NBC TV series created by Theresa Rebeck (I’m willing to overlook the fact that she wrote Catwoman) centred around the development of a new Broadway musical based on the life of Marilyn Monroe. It stars Deborah Messing, Jack Davenport, Anjelica Huston (plus a bunch of other people I’ve never heard of) and features original music by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman.

I just finished up watching the first episode and…I love it. Is it just because it gives me a window into the world of Broadway, a world which I have always longed to be part of (despite my rating of 1 in the ‘triple threat’ area)? Possibly. Though I also think it’s just a great show. It’s nice to watch a program involving musical numbers that doesn’t revolve around teenagers and seemingly exist solely to promote the latest pop hits and generate insane itunes sales (sorry Glee, you’re losing me)

I’m looking forward to seeing more of Smash.

Tagged , , , ,

Sherlock you scoundrel!

How can a show that is so bloody good only have 3 episodes a season? Or is it the fact that there are only 3 episodes a season that makes it so bloody good? I have no idea. All I know is that the season 2 finale of Sherlock left me extremely confused and wanting more.

I absolutely adore this show. It’s intelligent, funny and makes me feel like a complete idiot for at least 85 of it’s 90 minutes while I try to comprehend what the hell is going on. Also I like his coat.

Benedict Cumberbatch is brilliant as Sherlock Holmes, not simply due to the fact that he can wear an upturned jacket collar like nobody’s business…though that certainly helps.  He portrays the brooding detective with amazing powers of observation so well; showing his arrogance and self-assuredness, but also revealing hints of a more human side. Not to mention the way he runs off that dialogue like it ain’t no thing. You really must commend someone for being able to memorise that many lines and deliver them so eloquently and at such a fast pace. The other day I fumbled my words simply introducing myself to someone. Yes, I struggled to spout out my own name which I have had for 30 years! That’s a truth fact, so definite props to Benedict.

I fell in love with Martin Freeman years ago as Tim on The Office and I have to say that he slides into the role of Dr John Watson perfectly. He just has an ease about him which I love, offering comic relief and occasionally bringing Sherlock back down to earth – it’s the perfect balance.

I cannot wait for Season 3! (which has been confirmed as you can read here)

If you haven’t seen any Sherlock,  Season 1 is available on DVD  – purchase it immediately!

Tagged , , ,

The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret

This morning I became aware that a TV show exists starring both David Cross (Arrested Development) and Will Arnett (Arrested Development/ Up All Night) called The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret. Whaaaaaaaaaat?????

How the hell did this pass me by? I have no idea what rock I have been under (given it first aired in 2010) but I’m out and have just watched the first episode. I think this one will definitely be a grower. Cross plays the title character (Todd Margaret) who, much like Tobias, is completely useless, has little to no self esteem or success.  After Todd is overheard repeating insults from a self-help CD, the head of the company, Brent Wilts (played by Arnett who slips into the role of corporate jerk seamlessly) decides he is exactly the kind of bad ass he needs to head up the company’s energy drink venture in London. There are lots of expletives from the get-go (all warranted) and a little bit of slapstick. Though this first ep didn’t have me rolling on the floor in fits of laughter, I think there is definite potential and I look forward to watching some more.

Dance Like Nobody’s Watching

I know this post is a little late, but 30 ROCK IS BACK!!!!!

image

Last Friday brought me much joy as the void in my soul was once again filled by Lemon’s awkward dancing, Jack’s immovable hair and comforting exterior shots of 30 Rockefeller Plaza. I can now stop rocking back in forth in my chair and crying myself to sleep as Season 6 has begun and I’m confident it will bring with it an adequate amount of awesome.

James Marsden

Episode 1 rundown: Lemon returns from holidays and is acting a little strange, completely unaffected by the craziness Tracy and Jenna bring all up in her grill. Tracy jumps to the most logical conclusion – she’s a crack whore.  Turns out (after witnessing some brilliant yet simultaneously off-putting old people style dancing) that her good mood is actually the result of a new man friend. We don’t see his face, but word on the streets last year was that this good looking fellow to the right would be making a guest appearance on show, so I’m thinking there’s a 96% chance it’s him (4% chance it’s Lemon herself in a man’s wig and some tricky camera work).  I like those odds! Definitely no complaints here.
Also in the ep, Jack realises that money is the most important thing in life (imagine!) and Kenneth prepares for the end of the world.

Lesson learned from Ep 1: Women’s hell is the same as aroused dog’s heaven.

Tagged , ,